12.08.2008

Why does it take so long to get my photos?

Ever wonder why it takes a photographer awhile to get you your prints after you order them? After all, everyone shoots digital nowadays and we can all see the picture instantly....

I've been doing some editing on some of the last photos I took of my grandma Frieda and I thought I'd share with you a "before" and "after" of one of my shots so you can see the level of work that goes into an individual image before it's printed.

The image on the left has had minor corrections done like exposure and basic contrast (this is what we call a "proof"). The image on the right is a finished product: I've done careful dodging and burning (lightening and darkening certain areas to bring out details) and increased contrast in certain parts of the image. I even put in subtle reflections of light in her eyes, since that makes for a more pleasing portrait (even though the average person is unconscious to that fact). Usually I'd try to account for these sort of lighting situations beforehand, but since this was a "grab" shot, not a posed portrait, I had to do "post-process" work to make it a stronger image.

Even though it's digital, I haven't done much more to the image than a skilled film technician would do in a professional film lab. Can you see how much stronger the image is with the extra work put into it?

No comments: